Glendale Mills Office Personnel

Story by Clarence Crocker

Nellene Alley was a general office assistant. She was a native of Glendale, was the daughter of Roxie Morris, a distant relative of this writer.  They lived in their home located on a small tract of land joining the mill village. After having worked for a number of years in the Mill Store as clerk and for a short while as bookkeeper, she transferred to the mill office as a general office worker. Leaving Glendale Mills after the sale/merger with Indian Head Mills, Nellene worked at the Aug. W. Smith store in Spartanburg, S.C. from which she retired.

Nellene was a life long member of the Glendale United Methodist Church and was also a member of the Glendale Eastern Star where she served as worthy grand matron and grand secretary. Nellene was a congenial lady and was loved and appreciated by most everyone. She was very active in all community efforts Nellene married another Glendale native, Joseph Leroy Alley. They became the parents of one daughter, Tina Sue Alley. They lived with her mother until her death at which time they renovated and continued to live in the family home.

Nellene died February 7, 1985 at the age of 71. She was survived by her husband and daughter, Mrs. Tina Burnett of Spartanburg. Her obituary published February 8, 1985 in the Spartanburg Herald and Journal stated that her funeral was to be held at the M. W. Bobo Funeral Chapel with interment following in the Greenlawn Memorial Gardens. Members of the Easter Star served as honorary escort.

Roy Alley died in December of 1985 at the age of 72.

Lorena Childs was secretary to Mr. Louis deLoach, Executive Vice President & General Manager of the mills. She was there only a short while, leaving following the sale/merger of the mill. Unfortunately, I did not come to learn much about Lorena before she left and I have no other record of this lady.

Nell Day was paymaster for a number of years. She was the daughter in-law of J.C. Day. She too, left the mill about the time of the change and I have no further information regarding her.

Dave Garrison was a mill efficiency specialist and was from Fountain Inn, S.C. He was a bachelor and a very private person. We often times ate lunch together and I found him to be a very likeable person. After the mill sale/merger, he left and no further info is available.

John Y. DuPre was for many years the cotton buyer/specialist for the mill. A native of Glendale, he was born October 15,1915, the son of S. Jervey and Hallie Mathews DuPre. (S. Jervey DuPre was former Mill President) Leaving Glendale after the sale/merger with Indian Head Mills, John became Superintendent of the Clifton Manufacturing Co. of Clifton, S.C. John was a veteran of the Army during WWII and was a member of the Episcopal Church of Advent in Spartanburg.

“Johnny” as he was known, was a fine man. He was kind, courteous, friendly and a real gentleman. He and this writer were mutual friends most of our lives. We served on the school board of trustees and in the Ruritan Club together, worked together on various community projects and with Glendale Mills for a number of years. I was proud to have Johnny DuPre as my friend.

Johnny was twice married. He was first married to a local lady, Sarah Bates, born January 31, 1917, the daughter of Frank P. and Louise Greer Bates. She was a member of the St. Christopher Episcopal Church in Spartanburg. She and John were the proud parents of two daughters, Margaret and Greer DuPre. They lived on Avondale Drive in the Ben Avon community of Spartanburg County about five miles from Glendale. She was a most active charter member of the Glendale Women’s Club. Peggy, as she was known, was a vivacious lady and was loved by all who knew her.

Sarah, died December 11, 1988 at the age of 71. Her obituary published in the Spartanburg Herald and Journal stated that she was survived by her husband and two daughters, Margaret Lavender and Mrs. Greer Giegerich of Spartanburg. Services were held at Floyd’s Greenlawn Chapel with entombment following in the Greenlawn Memorial Mausoleum.

John’s second marriage was to Margaret O’Shields McCarter. They lived in their Avondale street home. Margaret died in October of 1996

John died April 3, 1994. His obituary published in the Spartanburg Herald and Journal stated that he was 78 years old and that his funeral was to be at Floyd’s Greenlawn Funeral Chapel with entombment following in the Greenlawn Memorial Mausoleum. Survivors were listed as; two daughters, Margaret Lavender of Spartanburg, Greer Giegerich of Pauline, S.C.; a stepdaughter, Patsy Hagan of Spartanburg; a stepson, Wayne McCarter of Gainesville, Ga; two sisters, Lila Donaldson of Mount Pleasant, S.C. and Emily Beattie of Greenville, S. C; two brothers, S, Jervey and C. Henry DuPre of Spartanburg; 11 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.

Barnard White was superintendent of the mill at the time of this picture. For more information, click Bernard White.

Louis deLoach was Executive Vice President & General Manager. For more information, click
Louis deLoach.

Fredrick Nash was Personnel Director at the time of this picture. Fred, as he was known, was the son of James Wright and Fannie Boyd Nash of Spartanburg, came to Glendale in 1947 as Personnel Director. Leaving Glendale in the early fifties, Fred became associated with the Spartanburg Foundation from which he retired.

Fred lived on the Country Club road, about three miles above the mill village. He was associated with the Spartanburg Gun Club and a member of St. Francis Episcopal Church.

His obituary printed in the Spartanburg Herald and Journal stated that he had died on October 26 1976 at the Mary Black Memorial Hospital. He was survived by his wife, Glen Bailey Nash and one son, Douglas Bailey Nash of Spartanburg; one sister, Mrs. M. B. Wilson of Clemson, S.C.; two brothers, J. Wright and Hubert Boyd Nash of Spartanburg and two grandchildren. Graveside services were held in the Oakwood Cemetery, Spartanburg, S.C.

John C. Day was the mill secretary at the time of this picture. “Jack” as he was known, was the son of Ellis and Jean Bolt Day and a native of Pickens, S.C. He lived in Cowpens S.C. where he had served as Mayor, town councilman and retired as town clerk. He was a retired secretary of the Cowpens Cotton Mill and a member of the First Baptist Church of Cowpens. He was a graduate of Perrin Business College of Greenville, S.C., a Mason and a Shriner. Jack left Glendale in the mid 1950s.

Jack died January 28, 1964 in the Mary Black Memorial Hospital following a fall in his home the week before. His obituary published in the Spartanburg Herald and Journal listed his survivors as; his wife, Mrs. Mary Gantt Day; one son, W. Gnatt Day of Hendersonville, N.C.; three sisters, Mrs. W. D. Sitton of Easley, Mrs. Mary Wyatt of Washington, D.C., Mrs. Janie Holcombe of Westminister, S. C and one grandchild. Floyd’s Mortuary was in charge but no arrangements were given.


Betty Lou Foster Scraggs,Thomas became paymaster after the departure of Nell Day. Betty Lou, a Glendale native, was born February 27, 1926, the daughter of Wells Baxter and Pauline Allen Foster and lived on Broadway Street in the heart of the Glendale Mill village. Her mother and I think all other members of their families worked at Glendale Mills at one time. Betty Lou came to work at Glendale Mills as a quality control lab technician and was later promoted to paymaster. Leaving Glendale when Indian Head Mills took charge, she worked for and retired from the Spartanburg Herald and Journal of Spartanburg, S.C.

Though Betty had been a member of the Glendale United Methodist Church for many years, she had become a member of the St. Paul United Methodist Church of Spartanburg before her death.

Being a couple years older, this writer was a couple of grades ahead of Betty Lou but I remember her well since those early days of Glendale Elementary school. She was a model student which grew up to be quite a lady, modest and always kind and friendly. She was a smart girl in mind and in work. I never heard an ill word spoken against her. I think most everyone in the community knew, loved and appreciated Betty Lou.

Betty Lou was twice married. She was first married to Archie Lee Scraggs who was a soldier stationed at the Camp Croft Army Camp located about five miles out of Spartanburg, S. C. They became the parents of one son, Allen Lee Scraggs. I have no knowledge of Archie’s whereabouts or what happened after he finished his training and was shipped out.

Betty Lou’s second marriage was to Howard S. Thomas, a lawyer located in Spartanburg. He was the son of Lawrence and Lector Pigley Thomas, another Glendale family. He was a Mason and served in WWII in the South Pacific theater. He was a member of the St. Paul United Methodist Church. They had a home built on the Country Club road about two miles from the Glendale village. Howard died December 29, 1989 at 69 years of age. His funeral was held at St. Paul United Methodist Church in Spartanburg, S.C. with interment following in the Greenlawn Memorial Gardens.

Betty Lou died April 17, 2008 at the Parkwest Medical Center in Knoxville, Tenn. She was 82 year of age. Her obituary published in the Spartanburg Herald and Journal listed as survivors; son, Allen Scraggs and his wife, Joan; a grandson, Scott Scraggs and his wife, Laura; a great granddaughter, Adelade Scraggs and a great grandson, Cole Jerome Scraggs, all of Knoxville, Tenn.

Charles M. Hammett became shipping clerk in 1957. Born June 27, 1932, was the son of Neely D, (B2;19,1899-D 12;6, 1962) and Ola Mae McKinney Hammett, (B1905-D10;10,1990). They lived on a farm on the Goldmine Road just outside of Clifton, S. C. in Spartanburg County. The family moved into Glendale Mill village in 1935 becoming a very respected and prominent member of the community. They were known, loved and appreciated by everyone. I have known the family since day one in the community. After living in two or three different houses in the village, they had settled down in their home at # 12 Shady Street (Douglas) when Charles went to work in the mill.

Charles went to work in the canteen at Glendale Mills while he was in the 11th grade at Spartanburg High. With the school district changing, he graduated from the Pacolet High School. He joined the Navy in 1952. Being the only child with both parents having serious medical problems, he was given an early discharge. Returning to work in 1954, he was placed in the mill supply room. Charles played on the Glendale ball team for a short while, leaving the team due to his work load and responsibilities at home due to his parents illness. He was later moved to the mill office as Shipping Clerk where he remained until he left the mill to take employment as shipping clerk with Noland Co. in Spartanburg. Before retiring from Noland, he had been promoted to Manager of the Industrial Division of the Spartanburg store.

Charles married Frances H. (Frankie) Corn, the daughter of Charles and Helen Corn of Glendale. (Cousins of this writer) They became the proud parents of one son, Charles M. Hammett Jr. After a short stay with Charles parent’s, they moved into an apartment on the Country Club road. Both had been members of the Glendale Baptist Church since early youth but after marrying and moving, they moved their membership to the Ben Avon Baptist Church in the Ben Avon community of Spartanburg County which was near their apartment. After a few years, they purchased a home on Mauldin Street in Spartanburg where they live today. Moving into their home in Spartanburg, they moved their membership to the Morningside Baptist Church in Spartanburg.

This writer has known Charles for better than 70 years. I consider him a close personal friend. He was and is a peach of a guy, a hard worker and a quick learner. He was greatly appreciated by the Mill Management.

Return to Glendale Homepage

This web site has been started as a public service to share the story of Glendale. The web master and person to contact about putting information on the web site is Mary McKinney Teaster.  Contact her at: or by telephone at (843) 873-8117. See more information about Mary and her Glendale connection at Mary McKinney Teaster.