Story furnished by Clarence
Quinn Print Shop was owned
and operated by The Reverend Clyde Quinn from mid 1940s to mid 1960s.
Clyde had built a new home on the Fernwood/Glendale road and opened the
print shop in the basement of his home. Clyde, the son of John and
Hattie Byars Quinn, was born February 10, 1913 in Woodruff, South
His first venture was with an
old model press in which the type had to be set by hand. He printed
business flyers, gospel tracts, church and revival announcements. This
writer watched him one day taking the preformed type in various size
pitch from a large cabinet with tweezers, spelling out the words of the
announcement letter by letter.
As the business grew he
purchased a Linotype typesetting machine like those used by newspapers
for years. By using a typewriter style keyboard the Linotype allowed
words to be created on a lead bar called a slug. This resulted in a
“line of type” about six inches long. Clyde, his wife Minnie and
sister, Mrs. Sara Quinn Varner became proficient with the Linotype as
did his sons, Alvin and Johnny.
Later, Clyde purchased an
Offset Printing Press that involved multiple steps and a good bit of
expertise to obtain the printed page. Basically, light sensitive
chemicals and photographic techniques were used to transfer an image of
the material to be printed onto an aluminum plate that was then
attached to a cylinder of the press from which the paper was printed.
Alvin became somewhat of an expert with the photographic techniques
involved in the process. A large portion of the work was then done on
the Offset Press.
In the late 40s Clyde printed
a book written by Dr. J. Harold Smith, Founder/President of the world
renown Radio Bible Hour entitled, “God’s Three Deadlines” which he used
in conjunction with his radio ministry. The book was copyrighted in
1949 and became very popular. Incidentally, the sermon outline and
video is available today on the web which showed some 10,000 hits as of
Oct. 6, 2010. Dr. Smith presented a modern Kluge printing press to
Quinn’s Print Shop to be used in printing the book. Clyde also did
print work for the Blue Ridge Quartet which was very popular in this
region for 10 to 20 years.
Clyde had married Minnie
Fullbright, the daughter of Ashbury and Elizabeth York Fullbright and
they became the parents of five children; Barbara, Annie Marie, Alvin,
Johnny and Janet Elizabeth who died at the age of three in 1936. Rev.
Quinn, his family along with his mother and father were wonderful “next
door” neighbors to this writer’s family for many years
Clyde and his family were
members of the Glendale Baptist Church where Clyde was ordained to
preach the gospel in February of 1937. Rev. Quinn served as Pastor of
Churches while operating the print shop. Closing the shop in the mid
sixties, Rev. Quinn went into full time Pastoral/Evangelistic
He retired from the Canadys
First Baptist Church, Canadys, S. C. where he was preaching when his
wife, Minnie Quinn died. She was in the hospital in Charleston when she
died on February 1, 1978. She was buried in the Glendale Community
Cemetery, Glendale, S. C. This writer had the privilege of bringing the
messages in a Revival at Canadys First Baptist while Rev. Quinn was
serving as Pastor.
Following the death of his
wife, Mrs. Minnie Quinn, Rev. Quinn married Effie Wilson of Ruffin, S.
C. He had retired from the Church when he took sick and died in the
hospital at Charleston, S. C. May 14, 1994. He too was buried alongside
of his first wife in the Glendale Community Cemetery. Both were
survived by their children and Rev. Quinn was survived also by his
second wife, Effie Wilson Quinn.
My sincere appreciation to
Annie Marie Quinn Bridges and Taylor Varner III for their contribution
to this story.
Written October 2010 by Rev. Clarence E. Crocker
This web site has been started as a
public service to share the story of Glendale. The web master and
person to contact about putting information on the web site is Mary
McKinney Teaster. Contact her at:
or by telephone at (843) 873-8117. See
more information about Mary and her Glendale connection at Mary McKinney Teaster.