Clifton Mill Tumbles Down
Story furnished by Clarence Crocker
Built in 1887-88 by the D. E. Converse Company, the Clifton Mill No 2 plant which started operation in 1889 is being dismantled. The cotton and cloth warehouses along with a large addition which had been added to the back of the plant have already been demolished along with about a fourth of the main plant. At the zenith of their operations, the three plants at Clifton/Converse had over 1400 employees. The plants were sold to Dan River Company in the mid 1960 but closed all operations in the 1970s. After closing the mill operations, the building was used as a warehouse and enclosed a small manufacturing operation for a few years but has stood vacant for a number of years.
Clarence E. Crocker - October, 2012; January, 2013; March, 2013 and April, 2013Additional Photos by Gil Edwards
We have recently received the following photos taken just before the mill demolition started.
See also (http://pacoletmemories.com/cliftonareaphotos.html).
This web site has been started as a public service to share the story of Glendale. The web master and person to contact about putting information on the web site is Mary McKinney Teaster. Contact her at:
email@example.com or by telephone at (843) 873-8117. See more information about Mary and her Glendale connection at Mary McKinney Teaster.