Glendale Street Names
Many of the street names in Glendale have changed over
the years. This sometimes makes it difficult to relate historical accounts
about the town to correspond to modern day street names. The biggest changes
to the names came shortly after 1949. The newly formed Glendale Ruritan Club had a project to improve
the roads and streets and to make sure that all of the streets were marked.
Part of this project involved changing the names of all the streets except
three. The names of Broadway, Church and State Streets were not changed.
The following changes were made:
Clifton Street became Chafin Street
East-line became Oakleaf but was later combined with Car-line Street
into Wheeling Circle
Shady Street became Douglas Street
Cross-line and Bishop Hill were combined into one and became Jackson
Mill Street became Glendale Ave.
Holy Hill became Chapel Street
Sixteen Street became Highland Street
Highway By-pass became Stifel Road
Maps of the community, including the current street
names, are shown on the link, Village Maps.
This web site has been
started as a public service to share the story of Glendale. The
web master and person to contact about putting information on the
web site is Mary McKinney Teaster. Contact her at:
or by telephone at (843) 873-8117. See more information
about Mary and her Glendale connection at Mary McKinney Teaster.