Lawson's Fork Creek
(Photo from Wikipedia)
For several thousand years, there was
little human activity along the little waterway that was to eventually
be known as Lawson's Fork Creek. Hunting parties of Native American
Indians passed over and around the area. There was an abundance of
wildlife. The Indians lived lightly on the land. They left little to
mark their thousands of years living in the Piedmont except an
occasional stone arrowhead.
The area along the creek was part of a vast wilderness that changed
little over the centuries until the coming of the Europeans. The first
time that the creek was seen by one of the white Europeans was about
the year, 1567, when a party of Spanish explorers under the
command of Captain Juan Pardo passed nearby. In 1934, a stone marked
date "1567" and direction markings was plowed up on a farm near Inman,
close to Lawson's Fork Creek. This stone is thought to be left by
expedition and is now in the Spartanburg Museum.
This was the first contact with the Europeans but it was only the
beginning. It started slowly at first. It was almost another 200 years
before the white men came to the area of the creek in any numbers. In
all this time, the area near what would eventually be called Lawson's
Creek and the Pacolet River remained a perfect wilderness. Around 1750,
more white men came to the area. These men brought their families and
to make settlements. For the most part, they came down from the north,
particularly the state of Pennsylvania. They first settled on the
of the Tyger River, on Fairforest Creek and along the Pacolet River.
came in increasing numbers and changed the Piedmont forever.
The settlers worked hard to make a living and raise their crops,
particularly corn. They used the corn for food for themselves and their
animals. They needed to have the corn ground into meal. Some of the
settlers built small water powered mills using the creeks that provided
a ready source of water power. It was during this time that Lawson's
Fork Creek got its name. The origin of who and where Lawson was has
been lost to time
but evidently, the "Fork" name was given because it flowed into and was
a fork of the Pacolet River.
For about the next 20 years or so, after 1750, only an occasional
family settled along Lawson's Fork and there was probably a small corn
grinding mill or two using the water power of the creek. But the year,
1773, was the beginning of using the water power of Lawson's Fork
that eventually led to what we know today as Glendale.
Over the years, Lawson's Fork has flooded many times. Click on Flooding for more details. Also click
on Glendale Dams, Ponds and Bridges and The Other Bridge for more information.
This web site has been started as a
service to share the story of Glendale. The web master and person to
about putting information on the web site is Mary McKinney Teaster.
Contact her at:
or by telephone at (843) 873-8117. See
more information about Mary and her Glendale connection at Mary McKinney Teaster.